• RSS feed
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
With Sidebar

Standard Blog

Marital Status Change – living common law

Are you living common law?  This applies to a person who is not your spouse (legally married), with whom you are living in a conjugal relationship, and whom at least one of the following situations applies.  He or she:

  • Has been living with you in a conjugal relationship and this current relationship has lasted at least 12 continuous months. Note in this definition, 12 continuous months includes any period you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in your relationship
  • Is the parent of your child by birth or adoption, or
  • Has custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before the child turned 19 years of age) and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support.

Make sure that you are correctly claiming your marital status on your 2015 tax return!


Site design & hosting by DBD Web Solutions